Friday, January 6, 2012

Childlike Faith

Change tends to be one of the most common things people avoid. I, for one, would prefer to remain with people and places that are familiar and comfortable. This is true for me, even though I know that some of my most amazing times of Spiritual growth have been during change, trials, and/or transition in my life. And even though I have those growth experiences to glean from, my default mode is to continually seek out what makes me comfortable. The comfort leads me to a false sense of security that I have things under control and so my dependency on God fades in the distance. 

Over the last few months, our family has been going through a major transition with relocating. Currently, we live 1000+ miles from family, friends, and church family. Needless to say, this has caused more life lessons than I can share in a little blog. But overall, it has caused me to realize that it is much easier for me to talk about WHO I put my faith in than it is to live a life that truly reflects it.

As the 6 of us have transitioned here, it has been interesting to see how each of us has responded differently. But the most profound difference has been with our son, Caleb. As I dropped him off for his 1st day of preschool (here in Texas) this week, he went in with a smile and a skip in his step. But what stood out most was his 4 year old trustful spirit that seemed to be saying, "If Mom & Dad are bringing me here, then it must be okay." Without any question, Caleb trusted me and his dad's heart that we were taking him somewhere that would be beneficial for his growth.

As I pulled out of the preschool parking lot, God spoke to my heart. I felt him saying, "Your son is an example that you need to follow!" If it hadn't been for my attention being focused on traffic, I would have bawled my head off! As I drove, I recalculated the past year of our lives. We have had some major doors open & shut...doors that we have prayed through...doors that God has been gracious to confirm or deny through placing specific Scriptures, situations, and people in our paths to guide & direct us along the way. YET, at times, I will still question the heart of my Father and doubt His ways and His plans for me. I re-read Luke 18:17 today. In Jesus' words, "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." WOW!! Those words may seem harsh. But if I really process it, Jesus says this out of His deep love for us. Often times, I spin my wheels trying to figure out the who, what, when, where and why and I miss out on the blessings of what He wants to give me. Jesus wants us to rest in knowing that HE IS GOD. He doesn't need any of us to figure it all out...that's His job. Our job is to Trust & Follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment